Seven people dead after man shows up to birthday party and opens fire

What should have been a fun, routine birthday party in Colorado Springs, Colorado turned into a deadly nightmare.

According to The Hill, police responded to a mobile home park in the wake of a shooting at a birthday party that left a total of seven dead. Reportedly, a boyfriend of one of the shooting victims showed up during the party and opened fire, leaving six dead at the scene and one injured, who later died at a nearby hospital. 

Though it’s tragic that anyone lost their life, by the grace of God, not a single child was injured or killed in the deadly shooting. The alleged shooter reportedly took his own life at the scene after committing the violent act.

Colorado Springs Police Chief Vince Niski issued a statement after the horrific scene was processed, expressing his condolences for the family and friends of the victims of what he described as a “senseless act of violence.”

“Words fall short to describe the tragedy that took place this morning. As the chief of police, as a husband, as a father, as a grandfather, as a member of this community, my heart breaks for the families who have lost someone they love and for the children who have lost their parents,” Niski said.

“This is something you hope never happens in your own community, in the place that you call home,” the chief added.

According to CBS Denver, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) issued a statement in the wake of the shooting, describing the situation as a “terrible act of violence.”

“The tragic shooting in Colorado Springs is devastating, especially as many of us are spending the day celebrating the women in our lives who have made us the people we are today. Multiple lives were taken today by this terrible act of violence. Families torn apart, and at a birthday party no less. My deepest condolences and prayers are with the victims, their families, and everyone else impacted by this tragedy,” Polis said in a statement.

A motive for the shooting is still under investigation and authorities are still asking any witnesses who haven’t been interviewed by detectives to come forward with any information to aid in the investigation.