Olympic viewership drop leaves NBC in hot water

NBC’s primetime coverage of the Tokyo Olympic Games has shown a lackluster rating yield, according to a report in The Daily Wire.

The publication reported that their coverage of the Olympic Games “has continued to spiral downward” with a fall of almost 50 percent from the coverage of the 2016 Rio Games.

Overall, viewership of the Olympics is down nearly 40% throughout all of NBC’s networks that share programming.

The Wire reported that Monday’s primetime NBC telecast “shed 53 percent of viewers from coverage of the first weeknight primetime during the 2012 London Olympics and declines were even larger among the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults aged 18-49.”

This phenomenon has prompted analysts cited by the Daily Wire to question if the “get woke, go broke” ideology may be where the blame lies for the surprising drop in interest.

NBC, however, is reportedly now struggling “advertiser anxiety,” among the corporations that have spent millions of advertising dollars on commercials and sponsorships for the worldwide event.

“NBC averaged 12.6 million viewers on Saturday night, a 39 percent drop compared to the first Saturday of the 2016 Olympics and a 56 percent drop compared to the 2012 London games,” Fox News added. “Now that a weeknight has also shed significant viewership from recent Olympics, too, NBC could start to panic if things don’t pick up in a hurry.”

Variety reported that “Traditional TV viewing for the Summer Games has declined noticeably, and, a decision by popular gymnast Simone Biles to take herself out of the team competition early Tuesday has spurred advertiser anxiety, according to executives familiar with negotiations between NBC and sponsors.”

At least one media buying executive told the outlet that the sad ratings are “clearly are not what NBC, our agency or our clients were looking for,” but whether it’s the fault of the woke factor or the lack of participation by some stars, the results are the same: networks who put their proverbial bags in the Olympic basket are left scrambling.

5 1 vote

Gordo1 (@guest_384399)

Sorry , no one I know is watching. Mostly because of the u.s. women and men basketball and women soccer have taken the interest away. It seems go be a pretty common effect among many America lovers!

Howard (@guest_384384)

The viewership
Is down and will stay that way!
NO American will watch a bunch of fools make asses of themselves and our great nation PERIOD!

P Scanland (@guest_384318)

I love the Olympics and sports in general, but I do not like to see the U.S. disparaged. I do not believe that anti-American rhetoric or behavior is the answer to any of our problems. In fact, I believe that this is making the divide worse as well as efforts toward improved civil rights.

Oscar V Pearson (@guest_384285)

American’s do not like kneelers and quitters!

Apj (@guest_384309)
Reply to  Oscar V Pearson

👏👏Absolutely the best words to describe this fiasco.

Stephen Russell (@guest_384279)

Hooray awesome who wants to see Woke Games I dont

Carol Ann Taylor (@guest_384273)

Finish with these group of anti American Athletes!!!!!
not watching them.
ask them go to live in another country who they think is better. They will not answer!
kick them out…….

Moises (@guest_384284)
Reply to  Carol Ann Taylor

agreed 100% AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Nick Cignetti (@guest_384271)

Time to shut down the Olympics.

Mary ] (@guest_384261)

As far as were concerned the ratings can stay down for all eternity.
They are nothing more than propaganda games. its too bad for all the atheletes that really care and work hard but when we have to sit and watch them on stage getting their medals and turning their backs on their home flag it sickens us to watch so when sports are sports and apolitical again we might return but for that same reason we left baseball, basketball and football and i doubt we will return for those sports for a very long time

Carolyn Hargrove (@guest_384259)

The women’s soccer team’s disrespect for our flag and national anthem set the tone for the Olympics for me. I had to change the channel every time the pink-haired soccer player came on the Subway commercial. No more Subway for our house! If she can’t respect our country, she should not, not be representing it! The other sports have not shown the attitude publicly that those women have and I regret they somewhat get lumped in. For the “good guys”, I say,
GO USA!

Schmedly (@guest_384255)

😂 😂😂😂😂MLB is now just like the NBA. I would NOT watch woman’s soccer again if you paid me to. These clowns will learn, woke will not be acceptable here in America. We are and will always be a free country, so don’t go stuffing your BS down our throats and DO NOT PLAY Politics with sports or in any workplace!!

These people were entertaining and there is plenty more to be entertained by! Yes, if go woke, you will go broke with Conservatives for sure! Even my wife who’s a more middle of the line Consecutive agrees!

AnnaSwan (@guest_384249)

Making extra salary every month from home more than $15k just by doing simple copy and paste like online job. I have received $18635 from this easy home job and now I am a good online earner like others. This job is super easy and its earnings are great. Everybody can now makes extra cash online easily by just follow the given website………

Try it, you won’t regret it!………… https://www.paybuzz1.com

Last edited 1 month ago by AnnaSwan
MustangUSN04 (@guest_384234)

They like to disrespect the greatest nation ever to have existed for the common man. Those competing from other countries, would like to live in the USA.
I will bet they don’t disrespect or shun The”In God We Trusts” donated so they can train. What a bunch of ingrates.
I do respect those USA competitors that are doing the right representation of the USA. Wish them well but I can’t watch anymore.
Get Woke go broke.

Schmedly (@guest_384256)
Reply to  MustangUSN04

Amen!

Robert Fott (@guest_384219)

What Olympics? Marine Bob

SJ Hoberg (@guest_384218)

What else can be expected? These athletes forget that They are there as representatives of The
United States of America! They are NOT there as an Individual alone and being there is a Privilege. It is NOT a forum for airing their personal grievances!! Any athlete who does this should be sent home immediately! They can air their personal opinions or feelings at some other time and in some other way! As a citizen, I don’t give a damn about their personal feelings and if their personal
opinions are so strong that they can’t participate in the Games without having to force them on the
millions of viewers they don’t belong there!

Damon (@guest_384200)

When I see athletes disrespecting our country how can you root for them and watch them. This is also happening to the pro sports teams also. Leave politics or your feelings out of sports.

rmbs (@guest_384217)
Reply to  Damon

The most outstanding feature of the TV or radio is the OFF switch. I’ve had it with athletes disrespecting the USA. The hell with the MLB, Olympics, NFL, etc. Leave “Pearl Milling Company” products on the shelf at your grocery. Don’t visit jungle cities such as Baltimore (MD), Charlottesville (VA), Chapel Hill (NC), New Orleans (LA), etc.

Cecelia Henderson (@guest_384194)

I’ve watched the Olympics for over 50 years and I’m watching this year. If an athlete kneels I’ll root for the opponent. I love America and there is no better Country on this planet. It’s a disgrace that our parenting skills and educational process have become so degraded that our people don’t understand how lucky they are to be here. Yes, we have weaknesses and problems, but we are still the greatest Nation in the world. Our “Woke” generation needs to be taught the truth and “wake up” to the fact that they are “privileged” to be here.

Susie Rissler (@guest_384193)

It isn’t the participants who need a functioning brain….it is the announcers because they are making it sound like the participants aren’t doing well enough even the ones who get silver and bronze medals. I think that is very wrong because they are doing very well. They are doing the best that they can. I have been watching as much as I can of the Olympics and they are playing hard and doing the best they can. Some of the announcers make it sound like some of the participants aren’t doing their best and they make fun of them. That is so wrong.

Paul Flint (@guest_384191)

The next time u block my comment la blocking you

JOE (@guest_384188)

You go to Olympics because you are proud of the country your from and you show it! What this bunch of communist leftist did cannot be tolerated! All they did was show how ignorant they truly are in front of a world audience. Instead of representing the U.S.A. THE SHOW THEY PUT ON PROVES THEY REPRESENT A-HOLES ARE US!!!!!

Louis Ott (@guest_384187)

Any bit of “wokeness” signals to me that I have better things to do. Eliminate the games until the participants get a functioning brain.

rmbs (@guest_384220)
Reply to  Louis Ott

Can’t fix a jungle brain….stupid can be hereditary….

Bella (@guest_384186)

People are tired of the B-sht, it’s always about me and what I can get, will the time has come and people could give a damn about the Olympics, and some of the bad people that don’t represent their country in Olympics they can go straight to HELL

Dennis Sumner (@guest_384185)

Everyone starting to “get it” yet?? Naw, probably not!

Dianne (@guest_384184)

I think people tune in to watch the Olympics because they want to see countries and athletes compete fairly and have some camaraderie. This year I do not want to watch people take a knee or whatever they do to show they are Woke. I myself refuse to watch any more of it

Gigi Halberstadt (@guest_384183)

I believe people are just fed up with politics in sports and don’t care anymore

Phil (@guest_384320)
Reply to  Gigi Halberstadt

You hit the nail right on the head. People watch sports for enjoyment and to get away from all the wokeness and politics destroying our country. I really love watching football but I love the preservation of this country more, so the NFL can go to hell.

Spurn (@guest_384182)

Olympic games should ban those who disrespect the country they represent and strip any medals won away from athletes. Disgusting athletes who represent USA and hate their country. Idiots all of them. Watch how more Americans boycott watching thes ignoramus athletes.

Wharf Rat (@guest_384181)

I wonder why. Could it be the promoting of non sensical social justice clap trap and condoning the same in a sporting event? Nah. Keep up the good work CNN I mean NBC

Bob onit (@guest_384139)

get woke go broke is a true statement, might be their MS affiliation to it . people are sick of media liars when the Olympic committee told the blind competitor she couldn’t have her care giver there ,and the cardboard beds so athletes couldn’t get laid without collapsing their beds ,the bikini pervs who fined the swedes because the girls didn’t like their clams shown all over TV on, and on. screw the Olympics ,their advertisers ,and MSNBC/NBC

SherryEvans (@guest_384010)

I get paid more than $120 to $130 per hour for working online. I heard about this job 3 months ago and after joining this i have earned easily $15k from this without having online working skills.

This is what I do………… https://www.paybuzz1.com

Last edited 1 month ago by SherryEvans
Hoff (@guest_384195)
Reply to  SherryEvans

You people just don’t give up so you, spreading your BS on every article! I enjoy reading the people’s serious comments, they actually have something to say.