Minnesota Supreme Court denies Derek Chauvin’s request for a public defender

Former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin’s request for a public defender in his conviction appeal was denied by the Minnesota Supreme Court on Wednesday, according to a report by Fox News.

The outlet reported that Chauvin, who is attempting to appeal his conviction and 22 1/2-year sentence in the death of George Floyd in 2020, was requesting a public defender to assist him in battling the decades-long sentence. 

Chauvin filed an appeal on his own behalf last month, asking for a delay in the process until he could get a public defender, despite being previously told by the Office of the Minnesota Appellate Public Defender that he was ineligible. 

The former officer said in his filing that the only money he has are prison wages, and asked that the state allow him to continue to appeal his case with the assistance of a state-employed attorney. 

According to the convicted former officer, the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association’s legal defense fund who paid for his legal fees during his trial is longer obligated to support his appeal after his conviction. 

“The justices on Wednesday reviewed his debts and assets and found he had not established that he was entitled to a public defender, Chief Justice Lorie Gildea wrote,” Fox News reported. “He may seek a public defender in the future if he’s unable to pay for a lawyer, the court said.”

Floyd’s death, which was captured on camera, went viral and Chauvin was the officer who had him pinned to the ground at the time that he died. The death of Floyd caused international outrage as minorities rallied to ask for better treatment from law enforcement. 

While Floyd was being legally detained, the manner in which he was being detained was ascertained to have been too much force, and it was decided that if not for Chauvin’s actions, Floyd would likely still be alive. 

In his appeal for his case, Chauvin gave 14 reasons he should be granted the appeal, including the claim that his case should have been moved from Hennepin County where Floyd was killed, due to the immense publicity. He also asserted that the jury should have been sequestered.