Michigan court upheld decision to keep Republican primary candidates off ballot

The Michigan Court of Appeals has moved to uphold a decision to keep Republican primary candidates off the primary ballot.

According to a report by the Washington Examiner two candidates were invalidated due to issues with petition signatures:

“Two of the candidates filed lawsuits after the state’s Board of Canvassers, which comprises two Republicans and two Democrats, deadlocked last week, sustaining the Michigan Bureau of Elections’s previous decision to remove five candidates from the ballot for invalid signatures.

“Appeals from businessman Perry Johnson and financial adviser Michael Markey were rejected on Wednesday, and former Detroit Police Chief James Craig’s appeal was rejected Thursday morning.”

The candidates need 15,000 signatures to enter the governor’s race but oversight agencies found almost 10,000 believed to be invalid in Johnson’s case and enough in the other cases to disqualify the candidates.

“We are disappointed by today’s decision, but there is so much at stake here that we cannot afford to sit down and let this miscarriage of justice stand,” Markey said in a statement.

“This clearly needs to be reviewed by the Supreme Court, because the Michigan Court of Appeals just decided that the Secretary of State can be an unchecked body of government serving as judge, jury, and executioner in deciding who gets to be on the ballot.”

Craig also voiced disappointment by the ruling, saying in a statement he was “discouraged by their complete disregard to the law and case precedent,” but also said his campaign would appeal the decision.

Currently the field of candidates looking for a shot at the governorship and to replace Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has been taken down to six candidates, including Tudor Dixon, who was endorsed by the DeVos family, who are Michigan natives.