Justice Stephen Breyer casts doubt on retirement by hiring clerks for fall term

Though many on the far left have been clamoring for liberal Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to announce his retirement by the end of the current term, the jurist’s decision to hire four clerks for the upcoming fall session has dealt a serious blow to those hopes, as the Washington Examiner reports.

Breyer, 82, has been the subject of an ongoing pressure campaign from progressive lawmakers and advocacy groups to retire in time for President Joe Biden to nominate an ideologically like-minded successor, and until now, he had given little indication as to his intentions. Hiring a full slate of law clerks for the next term, however, is viewed by many as a clear signal about his plans.

Desperate to avoid a repeat of the dilemma that resulted from the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg — who also famously resisted calls for a strategic retirement – which resulted in the confirmation of a nominee chosen by former President Donald Trump, far-left court watchers have all but demanded that Breyer step down.

If Breyer were to vacate his seat now, Biden would be able to select a nominee who would enter the confirmation process at a time when Democrats control – albeit very narrowly – the Senate. If, as many suspect, Republicans retake the upper chamber following the 2022 midterm elections, the path to confirmation of jurist chosen by Biden will likely become far more complicated.

As executive director of progressive advocacy group Demand Justice, Brian Fallon, explained the situation to NPR, if Sen. Mitch McConnell becomes majority leader again, “at worse, he might block any Biden pick. And at best, Biden is going to have to calibrate who he selects in order to get them through a Republican-held Senate,” making the timing that much more critical for liberals.

For his part, despite keeping his career plans close to the vest to date, Breyer has made public statements warning against hyper-politicization of the high court and the nomination process, saying earlier this year, “It is wrong to think of the Court as another political institution…and it is doubly wrong to think of its members as junior league politicians.”

As The Hill noted earlier this week, some court observers have suggested that the high-profile push from progressives to urge Breyer’s retirement could ultimately achieve the opposite effect, with legal blogger David Lat noting, “If you’re calling for him to retire, and then he retires, it looks like he caved to political pressure.”

“The people who are asking him to retire are generally people on the left who want him to be replaced by a younger, liberal justice, but in some ways, they’re making it less likely that he’ll retire by putting this pressure on him because he doesn’t want to be seen as somebody who is caving to partisan concerns,” Lat opined.

Indeed, as Lat also emphasized, it may well be that Breyer feels buoyed by a surprising emergence of consensus among his colleagues across a string of recent decisions, as well as justified in remaining on the bench for as long as he likes without risking the dire consequences for constitutional jurisprudence feared by the radical left.

HALEENARaposo (@guest_378939)

For Facebook User’s, Here I looked at the paycheck of $9103 , defeeFSSDfe I be certain that my friend who like actually taking home money in their spare time at their laptop. . there friend had bean doing this 4 weeks less than and bought a great Bugatti Veyron……

Open this web……–> 𝐨𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝟒𝟕.𝐜𝐟

CatherinePittman (@guest_378292)

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday CX DW I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour.

I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝟐𝟒𝟕.𝐜𝐟

Stephen Russell (@guest_378133)

Must be staying on then if hiring support staff

Reply to  Stephen Russell

Good as what Biden would approve would be disastrous. Hang on until we have a Republican president.

SherryEvans (@guest_378051)

If You Are On A L00k out For A Way T0 Earn Your First Dollar Online You Can Stop Searching!
Start Now With This Award Winning Program And Receive Your GHNm First Paycheck Within A Week!
Find out more here >>> 𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗽𝟮.𝘁𝗸

EstellaRodriguez (@guest_377952)

Sandra H Haddock (@guest_377947)

Stop this dang paycheck crap or block me! Who the heck is running this dang site? Mickey or Minnie Mouse would do a better job!

Louise Hill (@guest_377807)

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐬𝟓𝟔.𝐓𝐤

Sandra H Haddock (@guest_377945)
Reply to  Louise Hill

being a whore for google pays good, huh?

julia (@guest_377768)

I am making $89/hour telecommuting. ewdw I never imagined that it was honest to goodness yet my closest companion is acquiring $10 thousand a month by working on the web, that was truly shocking for me, she prescribed me to attempt it. simply give it a shot on the accompanying site Copy and paste Link…………….𝐖𝐰𝐰.𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲𝟐.𝐜𝐟

I saw the paycheck which was Of $9282, I didn’t believe that my mom in-law was like truly erning money part time from their cOmputer..sdfe there neighbour started doing this 4 only 21 mOnths and resantly paid fOr the dept on their home and g0t Maserati.

more infO here……………….>>>>>>>>> 𝗘𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗽𝟮.𝘁𝗞

Lois (@guest_377570)

more infO here……………….>>>>>>>>>𝐖𝐰𝐰.𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐩𝐞𝟐𝟐.𝐜𝐨𝐦

SarahStover (@guest_377554)

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past.VCYh I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour.

IreneClemons (@guest_377548)

I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟑.𝐭𝐤

CatherinePittman (@guest_378302)
Reply to  IreneClemons

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday CX TDEW I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour.

HALEENARaposo (@guest_378952)
Reply to  CatherinePittman

For Facebook User’s, Here I looked at the paycheck of $9103 , defeeDFSCDSE DCfe I be certain that my friend who like actually taking home money in their spare time at their laptop. . there friend had bean doing this 4 weeks less than and bought a great Bugatti Veyron……

Open this web……–> 𝐨𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝟒𝟕.𝐜𝐟