Justice Clarence Thomas breaks with conservatives in high-profile Transunion case

In rare form, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas recently sided with the liberal side of the high court in a decision involving a class-action lawsuit filed against TransUnion, one of the three major credit reporting agencies.

According to the Washington Examiner, over 8,000 people filed a class-action lawsuit against the credit agency after TransUnion flagged them as potential “drug traffickers” and “suspected terrorists.” A lower court decision ruled that TransUnion was to pay out $40 million in damages to the group, but on appeal, the case went to the Supreme Court to determine if “concrete standing” was needed by plaintiffs to show that they were caused actual harm.

The case, known as TransUnion v. Ramirez, is significant in that it sets a precedent for the judiciary to decide who has standing and who doesn’t, instead of relying on laws passed by Congress and the U.S. Constitution.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in his decision that a vast majority of the people involved in the lawsuit against Transunion lacked “concrete standing” to claim that they were hurt by the credit agency’s actions, which in turn would substantially reduce the $40 million that the company was ordered to payout, as only roughly 1,000 plaintiffs had the ability to prove they have standing.

Justice Thomas joined the high court’s liberals in dissenting on the decision, arguing that the U.S. Constitution has long allowed people to sue for harm and damages without the requirement to show “concrete” standing.

“That may be a pithy catchphrase, but it is worth pausing to ask why ‘concrete’ injury in fact should be the sole inquiry,” Thomas wrote.

“A person is harmed when he requests and is sent an incomplete credit report, or is sent a suspicious notice informing him that he may be a designated drug trafficker or terrorist, or is not sent anything informing him of how to remove this inaccurate red flag,” the conservative justice added.

Not surprisingly, Transunion lawyers were thrilled with the high court’s decision this week, with Transunion attorney Stephen Newman explaining why the ruling sets an important precedent for all major businesses.

“This outcome will have broad implications for class certification practice nationwide. It also will improve American businesses’ ability to serve their customers and workers efficiently, with reduced litigation burden,” Newman said, according to Saltwire.

SusanRoach (@guest_375259)

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago DS and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝗰𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝟮𝟰𝟳.𝘁𝗸

Megan Rogers (@guest_374859)

A Begin Working in Home Now .A month earlier I GOT check of almost Thirty Thousand Us Dollars this online work is fundamental and direct, don’t need to go OFFICE,KJH Its home online development go to home media tech tab for more detail
GOOD LUCK…… 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟐.𝐓𝐊

Roger H Hornaday (@guest_374743)

You misunderstood the article. The liberal justices and Thos sided with the people who sued Transunion for falsely accusing them of being terrorists or drug traffickers. The conservative Justices sided with Transunion. I agree with the liberal justices and Thomas on this one, even though I am a Republican.

BarbaraSpain (@guest_374707)

I started earning $ 350 an hour in my spare time doing tasks with my laptop I got from this company, I bumped into the internet … Check it out DDE and start earning for yourself. Visit any tab on this site for more information. Thank you so much here …___𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫𝟐𝟒𝟕.𝐜𝐟

Mia Lucas (@guest_374705)

A Begin Working in Home Now .A month earlier I GOT check of almost Thirty Thousand Us Dollars this online work is fundamental and direct, don’t need to go OFFICE, RGf Its home online development go to home media tech tab for more detail
GOOD LUCK…… 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟐.𝐓𝐊

Shay (@guest_374649)

Take your Bullsh – – “job” money,, etc. claims and shove them! You people are a bunch of idiots!!

Shelia Herring (@guest_374642)

Transunion, sounds like it was just another demonrat arm of the land !!!! I feel like everyone who was labeled with out proof, should be able to sue !!!!!! This will just bolster more companies to do the same !!!! SHAME on the justices for failing our countrymen !!!!!!!

Scott Sheehan (@guest_374652)
Reply to  Shelia Herring

are you surprised!

Raven (@guest_374641)

I make $1,000,000 an hour doing nothing. (just kidding)

Reply to  Raven

LOL!!!!!

LillyHaynes (@guest_374474)

In 2021, start earning cash from your home and getting paid(500$ to 700$ / hour ) by this job. These are the best online jobs I’ve made $84, 8254 so far this year working CEDw online and I’m a full time student. Join it today here………………………………………….. >>>>>>>> 𝐧𝐚𝐯𝐣𝐨𝐛.𝐭𝐤

Cecelia Henderson (@guest_374456)

Transunion was slandering people they didn’t know. If I had received a response like this with unfounded suppositions, I’d be suing, too. Why didn’t Transunion simply decline the credit application using their tied and true lies they’ve used for years?

Aimee Hart (@guest_374431)

A Begin Working in Home Now .A month earlier I GOT check of almost Thirty Thousand Us Dollars this online work is fundamental and direct, don’t need to go OFFICE, Its home online development go to home media tech tab for more detail
GOOD LUCK…… 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟐.𝐓𝐊