Former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel dies at age 91

Former Democrat Alaska senator and one-time presidential contender Mike Gravel died Sunday at the age of 91 at his home in Seaside, California following a battle with multiple myeloma, according to the Washington Post.

Gravel served Alaska in the U.S. Senate for two terms, spanning the years of 1969 to 1981, and he was perhaps best known for reading the voluminous Pentagon Papers – the Department of Defense’s own account of the early years of the Vietnam War – into the Congressional Record back in 1971 during a filibuster in protest of the draft, as NPR noted.

During his recitation, Gravel dramatically declared, “Arms are being severed. Metal is clashing through human bodies because of the public policy this government and all its branches continue to support,” before dissolving into tears and announcing that he was “physically incapable of continuing any longer.”

Gravel’s tenure in the upper chamber came to an end when he lost his state’s 1980 Democratic primary to Clark Gruening, grandson of Sen. Ernest Gruening, the man to whom he dealt a primary defeat back in 1968.

After departing the Senate, Gravel entered presidential politics as a staunch opponent of the Iraq War, running in 2008 as a Democrat in the election eventually won by Barack Obama. He made memorable waves during party debates in that election cycle, pressing the then-Illinois senator about his feelings about the use of nuclear weapons. “Tell me, Barack, who do you want to nuke?” asked Gravel.

Upon being excluded from participation in later Democratic debates, Gravel announced that he would run as a Libertarian, declaring that his former party “no longer represents my vision for our great country,” adding, “It is a party that continues to sustain war, the military-industrial complex and imperialism – all of which I find anathema to my views.”

Gravel also launched a short-lived run for the 2020 Democratic nomination, mainly designed to “get his ideas before a larger audience,” and not to actually win the race, according to former aide Theodore Johnson. Upon failing to meet the qualification threshold for debate participation, Gravel endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT).

Born in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1930, Gravel served in the U.S. Army, spending time in Europe during the Korean War. After receiving an economics degree from Columbia University in 1956, he relocated to Alaska as a young man and served as a state representative for a period in the mid-1960s.

Gravel leaves behind to mourn his passing a wife, Whitney Gravel, two children from his first marriage, two sisters, four grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

JanieCheatham (@guest_376553)

If You Are On A L00k out For A Way T0 Earn Your First Dollar Online You Can Stop Searching!
Start Now With This Award Winning Program And Receive Your First Paycheck FRRIu Within A Week!
Find out more here >>> 𝗷𝗼𝗯𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗸𝘀𝟮𝟰.𝗰𝗳

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past.YGh I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour.

I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝗲𝗖𝗮𝘀𝗵𝟭.𝘁𝗞

Megan Bailey (@guest_375750)

Start working at home with G00gle! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work thr0ugh this link, G0 to tech tab for work detail.………__>>> 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐬𝟓𝟔.𝐓𝐤

MarciRamos (@guest_375739)

Start Now With This Award Winning Program And Receive FCVt Your First Paycheck Within A Week!
Find out more here >>> 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟑.𝐭𝐤

Francesca Thompson (@guest_375624)

julia (@guest_375611)

Find out more here >>> 𝗪𝘄𝘄.𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲𝟏.𝐭𝐤

Wyn (@guest_375596)

I’m so FED UP with these ridiculous headlines. The US Senate is not rocked by this or any other death of a 91 year old!

LeslieJohnson (@guest_375577)

Start Now With This Award Winning Program And Receive GFUi Your First Paycheck Within A Week!
Find out more here >>> 𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐡𝟏.𝐭𝐤

Saight (@guest_375545)

If You Are On A Lookout For A Way To Earn Your First Dollar Online You Can Stop Searching!
Start Novv With This Award Winning Pr0gram And Receive Your First Paycheck Within A Week!
Find out more here >>>𝐖𝐰𝐰.𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐩𝐞𝟐𝟐.𝐜𝐨𝐦