Biden, Senate negotiators announce agreement on infrastructure plan

President Joe Biden appeared with a bipartisan group of senators outside the White House on Thursday to announce that a deal was reached on an infrastructure package, according to The Hill, and while he claimed that both sides made concessions to reach agreement, some on the right are already voicing concerns about the plan.

In touting the collaborative nature of the negotiations that led to the announcement, Biden said, “I think it’s really important, we’ve all agreed that none of us got all that we wanted. I clearly didn’t get all I wanted. [Republicans] gave more than I think maybe they were inclined to give in the first place.”

“But this reminds me of the days we used to get an awful lot done in the United States congress, we actually worked with one another,” he observed, adding, “Bipartisan deal means compromise.”

As The Hill noted, the package referenced by Biden encompasses new spending of $579 billion across five years, totaling $973 billion over that period, and involves spending of more than $1.2 trillion across an eight-year span. Targets of the funding cover things such as roads, bridges, airports, and new infrastructure to support electric vehicles, as well as expanded broadband, water, and power infrastructure.

While Biden was clearly pleased to be able to announce consensus among those involved in the negotiations, several senators on the Republican side of the aisle quickly began sounding the alarm about key provisions in the framework, particularly when it comes to proposed sources of funding for the massive expenditures.

A measure within the proposal that delivers $40 billion in spending to the Internal Revenue Service for enhanced enforcement initiatives has garnered particularly negative attention, with Sen. Mike Rounds (R-SD) declaring, as The Hill noted separately, “I’m one of the skeptics on that.”

Also taking a wait-and-see approach to the proposal is Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) who reportedly told fellow Republican lawmakers on Thursday that he is “still learning about it,” but later in the day suggesting that Biden’s insistence on linking the package to passage of a larger reconciliation bill full of far-left agenda items is indeed problematic.

“It almost makes your head spin. An expression of bipartisanship and then an ultimatum on behalf of your left-wing base,” McConnell lamented, adding to new questions about whether the agreement announced by Biden will ultimately have legs.

Never one to miss a chance to stoke the flames of racial animus, in response to Biden’s White House announcement, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) took a different line of attack on the agreement, declaring that the absence of minority legislators on the negotiating team is “how you get GOP on board” and that any deal reached under such circumstances is “unacceptable.”

Stephen Russell (@guest_374599)

Need to update:
Grid
Hwys
Bridges
RR track
Telecomm
sewar lines
Harbors
Utilities
airports

Terry Bell (@guest_374586)

You nailed it !

Katydid (@guest_374448)

all I need to do is post something with my name and it gets deleted.

Mwood (@guest_374406)

Time to take communism out of the United States of America

James Mullen (@guest_374332)

Joe gotta go!

LARRY (@guest_374329)

I THINK WE WON. OLE SENILE JOE WANTED 4 TRILLION BUT WE ONLY ALLOWED HIM 1 TRILLION.

Reply to  LARRY

LOL

Jorge Barreiro (@guest_374323)

Once again you fail to publish my comment. You don’t want me here? Please let me know.

Reply to  Jorge Barreiro

Be sure you hit reply before posting. I was having a problem as well and discovered that I need to hit reply first.

Katydid (@guest_374447)
Reply to  Jorge Barreiro

They don’t want anyone that isn’t left.

LES (@guest_374318)

THE REPUBLICIANS AS ALWAYS ARE “WEAK” THAT IS WHY THE ALWAYS LOSE “COWARDS” I AM A REPUBLICIAN BUT I AM 86 too old & ILL TOO FIGHT
,WHEN THE DEMOCRATS & THE UNIONS GET WHAT THEY WANT!!! THEIR WILL NOT BE UNIONS, NO REGULAR POLICE, ALL FED POLICE, LIKE KGB,NO CONGRESS, NO SENATORS, LET ME ASK ARE ALL YOU SO DUMB THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW ? ALSO (1) NEWS OUTLET

rm (@guest_374571)
Reply to  LES

Les, this country is FUBAR with Biden/Harris…pray to God you get to the polls to throw the bums out of office…

KatieKim (@guest_374306)

In 2021, start earning cash from your home and getting paid(500$ to 700$ / hour ) by this job. These are the best online jobs I’ve made $84, 8254 so far this year wOrking NOVV online and I’m a full time student. Join it today here…FOr More Details==>> 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫𝟐𝟒𝟕.𝐜𝐟

Madison Short (@guest_374288)

For Facebook User’s, Here I looked at the paycheck of $9103 , I be certain that my friend who like actually taking home money in their spare time at their laptop. . there friend had bean doing this 4 weeks less than and bought a great Bugatti Veyron……

Open this web……–> 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝟎𝟐.𝐓𝐊

Louise Fouts (@guest_374184)

In 2021, start earning cash from your home and getting paid(500$ to 700$ / hour ) by this job. These are the best online jobs I’ve made $84, 8254 so far this year wOrking NOVV online and I’m a full time student. Join it today here…FOr More Details==>> 𝐣𝐨𝐛𝐬-𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲𝟕.𝐭𝐤 ●☚

IslaLowin (@guest_374127)

A Begin Working in Home Now .A month earlier I GOT check of almost Thirty Thousand Us Dollars this online work is fundamental and direct, don’t need to go OFFICE,HDFp Its home online development go to home media tech tab for more detail
GOOD LUCK…… 𝐧𝐚𝐯𝐣𝐨𝐛.𝐭𝐤

Joan Lincoln (@guest_374110)

A Begin Working in Home Now .A month earlier I GOT check of almost Thirty Thousand Us Dollars this online work is fundamental and direct, don’t need to go OFFICE,TRJ Its home online development go to home media tech tab for more detail
GOOD LUCK……… 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐫𝟐.𝐭𝐤