President Joe Biden has denied the accusation that the White House rejected a plan o boost holiday testing from COVID-testing experts according to Fox News.
The assertion was made by Vanity Fair which New York Post reporter Steven Nelson questioned the president about before they departed the White House for Marine One on Monday.
“My question: ‘Why did your administration reject a holiday testing surge in October? Does the buck stop with you there?’ President Biden: ‘We didn’t reject it'” Nelson said in a follow-up tweet with additional context.
However, the Biden administration did admit that they planned to get involved in rapid testing, saying during a call with several US governors on Monday that “it’s not enough.”
It’s clearly not enough. If I had – we – had known, we would have gone harder, quicker, if we could have,” the administration reportedly said.
“The Biden Administration Rejected An October Proposal For ‘Free Rapid Tests For The Holidays,’ the Vanity Fair piece, published last week, alleged.
The accusation piqued the interest of many because of President joe Bident’s earlier comments to ABC News when he said “I wish I had thought about ordering” 500 million at-home tests “two months ago.”
Vanity Fair reported that they had obtained a 10-page plan where experts in the field of testing outlined the steps that would provide rapid at-home COVID-19 testing to Americans, requesting 732 million tests per month.
That plan was one that Biden officials reportedly turned down with an expert telling the publication shortly after the meeting that the idea was “dead.”
“Three days after the meeting, on October 25, the COVID-19 testing experts—who hailed from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Rockefeller Foundation, the COVID Collaborative, and several other organizations—received a backchannel communication from a White House official,” Katherine Eban wrote.
“Their big, bold idea for free home tests for all Americans to avoid a holiday surge, they were told, was dead. That day, the administration instead announced an initiative to move rapid home tests more swiftly through the FDA’s regulatory approval process.”